Understanding of Grief: Children aged 6-9 years
- Understands that death is final
- Concern that his/her thoughts, words, behaviors caused the death
- Thinks about life milestones without their loved one (graduation, marriage, etc.)
- Shows interest in the biological aspects of death
How to help:
- Give physical contact and have intentional time together
- Answer questions truthfully
- Allow expression of feelings both verbally and physically
- Encourage healthy and creative outlets drawing, reading, art, music, etc.
- Let child be a part of the mourning process. Allow them to make choices
If you are looking to support a grieving child, have questions or concerns, we are available to help. Please call us at the office at (231) 947-6453 or by email at GoodGrief@MyMichaelsPlace.net and talk with one of our grief support staff.