Understanding of Grief: Children aged 9-12 years
- Understands that death is final
- Concern that his/her thoughts, words, behaviors caused the death
- Thinks about life milestones without their loved one (graduation, marriage, etc.)
- Heightened awareness of death. Concerns that other loved ones will die
- Formulating spiritual concepts
How to help:
- Offer comfort and support
- Expect emotional reactions and mood swings and be patient and gentle
- Encourage healthy and creative outlets drawing, reading, art, music, etc.
- Find peer support
- Communicate openly and answer questions honestly. Be available to talk and listen to their concerns
- Give them choices in the mourning process
If you are looking to support a grieving child, have questions or concerns, we are available to help. Please call us at the office at (231) 947-6453 or by email at GoodGrief@MyMichaelsPlace.net and talk with one of our grief support staff.